Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Friday, November 6, 2009

Real Food After Cancer

In my journey to wellness after three separate breast cancers one aspect has been to look at what I eat.

While I appreciate each woman's body is unique here are the guidelines I try to follow.

I do not eat processed food or food that has chemical additives I do not understand.

I try to find foods with no pesticides, no hormones, and no antibiotics.

For this reason I am learning to grow my own vegies at a community garden.

At the community garden we are being taught the quality of the earth affects the quality of the earth affects the quality of the food we eat.

I do not drink milk or use milk products.

My understandings of how milk affects breast cancer come from the writings of Professor Jane Plant CBE.

I eat fish and eggs but no meat for me. Not eating meat is a personal thing good for our planet.

Oils are something I also watch carefully. My first choices are organic olive oil and grape seed oil for cooking.

Grape seed oil has a low heating level which causes less chemical changes on heating.

Oils can be difficult as they are often in food you buy. I simply don't buy something that does not specify which oil it is using on the label.

Granola oil is a definite no because I am unsure of its source and production and if I must have an oil in something I prefer sunflower oil.

No I do not use margarine. On bread I simply use olive oil or avocado.

Before I finish another big No is food sold in plastics. Many plastics leak into food and create chemical changes mimicking hormones. I have a metal drinking bottle and store food in glass, wax paper or brown paper bags.

In summary what I try to eat are REAL FOODS as close to their natural state as is possible.

It is a learning curve but I am enjoying discovering a new way of eating and being.

No comments: