Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Monday, December 7, 2009

Cashew Pesto

PhotobucketI received a generous amount of basil from a fellow community gardener.

It called out `Pesto' but I don't eat cheese or any milk products for that matter after discovering the writings of Professor Jane Plant, a fellow breast cancer survivor.

So I created my own pesto which I found delicious.

I put a handful of basil and a handful of cashew pieces into my blender along with one Russian garlic glove, some olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and water to create the desired consistency.

It blended into a delicious pesto.

It was omelettes for dinner and I put the pesto in the omelettes with a little on top.

Along with steamed sebago potatoes, rainbow chard, kale and beans direct from my own garden patch and topped with a little olive oil it was a tasty and nutritious meal.

With my omelettes I add the mixed eggs to piping hot grape seed oil in the pan. I prefer grape seed oil for cooking as it changes its chemical composition less than olive oil when heated.

I am very careful with my use of oils again after my reading of Jane Plant. For someone like myself who has had breast cancer three times it is important to know just which oils are in the food you eat.

2 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Your pesto version sounds delicious - we have a heap of fresh basil available to us right now, so I'm going to try your recipe.

Kelly the Kitchen Kop said...

Wow, I love that picture and I've never thought to try cashews in pesto - yum!

Thanks for joining in on Real Food Wednesday. :)

Kelly