Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How Sustainable Living Has Changed Me

This year I have changed my life.

My prestige apartment sold in March and I found an old hardwood house with a tin roof and garden and began my sustainable journey.

The extra bonus was that a community garden was starting nearby just as I moved to my house and I was able to join and learn about sustainable gardening.

I had been struggling with my health, three separate breast cancers and ovarian cysts but living sustainably has worked for me.

I will try this year to share on my blog the many aspects of sustainable living I feel have created this change.

I am still in process and learning all the time.

An important aspect of my new lifestyle has been the removal of unnecessary chemicals from my life.

I have no illusions about the difficulties of doing this in contemporary living but step by step I am discovering the many unnecessary chemicals in my lifestyle and placing them with sustainable alternatives.

My friends skeptical at first are now asking what I am doing.

It hasn't been easy to change.

So often taking the sustainable option has required going against conventional and easy options but with a lessening exposure each day to so unnecessary chemicals my body has renewed.

My generation was born just as the world was excited by so many new discoveries most of which involved chemicals additives to our lifestyles.

The human body had survived for millions of years without these chemicals but we never thought how it would react to so many changes so quickly.

In areas of China with little change to their way of living there is almost no breast cancer yet in modern society it continues to escalate.

I know the answers are not black and white but for myself I had no option but to try and live a new way and for me this sustainable change is creating renewed strength.

4 comments:

Stine in Ontario said...

Such an interesting post.

I wonder what will happen to Chinese health as hey move into the modern world.

I wish you all the best in 2010 as you continue on your sustainable journey. :)

Andy Mahoney said...

I liked your post and would like to ask you and your readers to join in with my little campaign to try and collectively live a more sustainable life in 2010.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=237185074784

Also take a look at my website

http://www.homebrewpower.co.uk
Renewable Energy & Self Sufficiency

Lawstude said...

New Year is the time to bid farewell to the old year and welcome the coming year. It is the time to forget and get past memories that are no longer useful or worth pondering upon. It is the time for new beginnings and new starts in life. New Year has a message for each one of us. One should let go of the past that has bad memories and accept what has happened, has happened for some reason. Instead of clinging onto your past and things that have gone, it is better to let go.

There is an old saying that goes, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened". This essentially means that there is no use crying over spilt milk. You cannot turn back time and do things that would benefit you. Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue. New year is the time of new beginnings. It is time to start afresh and do things that would make someone else smile. Make a pledge to make at least one person happy. You will see the difference it can make in both your lives. The essential message of New Year is let go off the past and embrace life as it comes to you. You will be happier and merrier that way.

May the coming year 2010 bring you happiness, success, wealth and good health!.

nannykim said...

I wonder if you have ever read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, PhD and Thomas M. Campbell II. Diet seems to have a real effect on cancer with the Chinese. They give examampes of areas of large amount of carcenogens (spelling?) and yet they didn't get cancer when they were on a certain kind of diet. When they changed their diet (to be more like the American diet) they got much more cancer, heart disease, etc.