Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Monday, January 4, 2010

A Living Room

When I got the keys for my new home I sat on the living room floor and cried.

It was the house I had wanted, hardwood, tin roof, all natural materials, raised from the ground for air movement.

But as I sat on that floor the reality enclosing me was not my dream. The living area consisted of small closed rooms, windows that did not let in air, old stained paint and it smelt.PhotobucketHere is the same living area today. The three rooms of the living area were opened up to become one flowing living space.

Louvre windows replaced the previous small openings and the walls were painted with sustainable paint.

PhotobucketThe lino was also taken up to reveal the original flooring and this was sanded and sealed with sustainable sealant.

Photobucket The third little room that was once a balcony is a special room which I have made into a studio.


1 comment:

Rhonda @ Shellbelle's Tiki Hut said...

Your living space is fabulous! To be able to take something and turn it into something so warm and inviting must give you such a sense of accomplishment. I think this is so much better than moving into something someone else already did and there's no need for improvement. What you did, truly makes it yours.

I read yesterday's post also and envy you being able to garden. We've had an usually cold winter by Florida standards and I'm afraid many of my tropical plants may be lost. I've brought in all my small plumerias, but the big one I've had for close to 20 years isn't looking to good.