Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Creating My Sustainable Garden

PhotobucketHere is my new mulberry tree. My first mulberry tree flopped. When I rang the nursery and described my tree the horticulturist did not expect it to revive. They gave me a placement. I took soil for testing to the  nursery and it was fine, so the new tree is planted in the same hole with the same soil. The new tree has now been planted a day. The previous mulberry tree was turning brown at this time, so, so far so good. PhotobucketThe paw paw trees and the avocado tree continue to grow well and in the background my passionfruit vines continues to power away in front of the frangipane tree. Gave the paw paws some some worm dropping mixed with manure this morning to add nitrogen and topped them and the avocado tree with more lucerne mulch.

While at the nursery I could not resist buying a nectarine tree. They even gave me a discount and I came home and planted it straight away at the bottom of the other side of my garden. The soil there was much easier to dig and seems quite different in quality. Mixed the organic compost, organic potting mix with the original soil in equal ratios as advised for my previous plantings and added some dolomite. Also put the special tree food from the nursery at the bottom of the hole before I planted  and topped with lucerne mulch once I finished planting.


Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketThis time though I did something different. I soaked both trees in their nursery containers in a bucket of water until no bubbles came to the top. The nursery told me this gets rid of air bubbles in the soil.

Here are some more photos of that corner of my garden. When I first brought my house I did not even know there was a rock edging there it was so overgrown. The plantings here are my first plantings at the house and I love this wild corner of the garden.




Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

ramblingwoods.com said...

I am enjoying following your progress with the garden. I went back to the beginning of your blog to get a better sense of where you've been to where you are now. I didn't realize that you are in Australia...don't know how I missed that. You might enjoy a fellow countryman or country lady's blog...
Arija posted this week to Nature Notes under 'Moon Magic' and is listed on my post...Michelle

ramblingwoods.com said...

Oh I feel foolish..of course you had Australia on your link to Nature Notes.. OK time for bed for me....Michelle.. LOL

Its So Very Cheri said...

Your garden looks just lovely.

I hope you have a wonderful New Year too.
Thanks for all your sweet comments.
Cheri

Stine in Ontario said...

I sure hope your second mulberry tree makes it! Nectarines, avocados...I'm starting to feel a tad envious! :)

Martha Z said...

A new to you garden is an adventure, finding what does well and what doesn't. I am finding that my damp winter makes it difficult to be purely organic. Fungus thrives in our persistant fog causing peach leaf curl and damaging fruit.

Rinkly Rimes said...

We'll watch the progress with interest.

ladyfi said...

Good luck with the mulberry tree!

Japa said...

This is of interest to me. So will be back to read for more. Happy New Year!

Denise said...

Your dedication to your gardening is impressive. Thanks for sharing.