Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Summer Sustainable Garden

It has been over thirty centigrade for what seems like an eternity and am learning how to garden in the heat.

Have put in a few dwarf bean seeds hoping they will grow, but no more new plantings till the weather cools.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Kale and basil still do well, eat them each night. The pepper plants are also fruitful.

Photobucket

Eating some beans from the old dwarf beans and turmeric, perennial lettuces and tomato plants continue to grow.

Photobucket

This water melon is larger each day.

Photobucket

My use of larger plants to shade newer or more vulneraable plantings is helping keep my garden alive, but my vegetable patch is against a fence which intensifies the heat. I have been given these wonderful palms and am considering planting them beside the fence to break the fence's heat and extending the garden patch out using the no dig method.

You certainly need to be in a garden `all seasons' to learn how to grow your food.

4 comments:

chanelle said...

Your garden looks beautiful. It must be summer for you now? I'm looking forward to having a big garden this summer too!

ramblingwoods.com said...

I never thought of using larger plants to help shade smaller ones. I really need to get my garden to be sustainable and not need so much hand holding...great post.. Michelle

Carver said...

Sounds like your garden is well thought out. Beautiful shots.

Denise said...

Looks so lush and green. I can see you're going to have a wonderful harvest.