Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Easter Project

My Easter Project has been planting six Golden Cane Palms behind my vegetable patch.

The area is beside a fence and in summer the reflected heated burnt many of my vegetables.

Golden Canes are tough and will survive the heat. Planting them now means they will be strong by next summer and provide a protective shield for my summer plantings.

Also love looking out at a soft tree line from my kitchen window rather than a bare fence.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Planting the Paw Paws was my Christmas Project and already this project is bearing fruit.

Photobucket

10 comments:

KaHolly said...

Such a smart idea!! I don't have much of a vegie garden anymore. The area I am in now is too exposed, the soil too needy, the growing season awfully short. I just pleasure myself with the native plants that want to be here and the birds that love them.

Low Tide High Style said...

What a beautiful way to shield more tender plants from the direct sun!

Kat :)

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

what a great idea, I'll be looking for those when I go to the garden center ...

Sonny

Allison Shops said...

Nice way to shield the more delicate plants! Be sure to stop by AtticMag this week for a Giveaway!

Shelia said...

This looks great!

Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Ann said...

I've not heard of Golden Cranes, but your pictures and your post have certainly peeked my interest! Thanks for sharing. :)

Zuzu said...

You have put in so much work - I am happy to see that you are reaping the rewards - fresh produce, shade and beauty!

niartist said...

Very cool! We're just now getting into the time when we can think about planting. The snow has melted, the sun is out - the tulips and daffodils are coming up. OH JOYFUL DAY! LOL! Thank you for sharing! :) Hope you can stop by when you get a chance!

Sherri @ Design2Shine said...

Very pretty! I know all the greenery makes a difference. I love seeing everything blooming right now.

Rambling Woods said...

I love seeing all the green you have as our spring is just getting going.. Michelle