Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Food Garden

I never thought I would get my own organic food garden. My apartment took over three years to sell and during that time I had treatment for a third breast cancer. Then just when I thought it would never happen my the right buyer came along for my apartment and I found the perfect house for me. The time I spent waiting makes my garden even more precious.

Below are the paw paws I planted last Christmas, now growing tall and full of fruit.


Even the neighbors are surprised at the energy in the passion fruit vines. They now cover the whole side of the house and each evening at present I enjoy several sweet passion fruits.



This corner of my vegie plot has Italian parsley, lemon mint, apple mint, curly kale, rocket, dandelion and perennial lettuce.  Oops almost missed the small red cabbage just beginning its journey of growth. I love companion planting my plants so there is a continual food supply. This does mean I need to keep feeding my soil. Last week for example I added a full bag of organic cow compost to this garden and the rains have really washed it in.



This is the bottom of my garden where I put  grass cuttings. Have also added sweet potato and yams to this area as they tend to run. The yams are the lighter color. Not quite ready to dig yet, but will all be helping to develop the soil.




15 comments:

Beth said...

Hi! I enjoyed seeing your garden and reading a little bit about you. Organic gardening is definitely the way to go, for our health and the health of the planet. You have inspired me.
Blessings, Beth

hawthorn said...

Soon as I saw the paw paw photo I smelt it, I grew up in Africa and we had them for breakfast most days when they were fruiting. I must admit that I miss all those tropical vegetables and fruit. We also had the passion fruit vines, scrambling up and over our fences. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog :) x

Designs on 47th Street said...

Your yard is so inviting. I loved seeing all the variety of herbs and such you have growing. You know I have heard of paw paws, but honestly can't remember what they are!?

Your nasturiums looked so healthy. I know we are suppose to ignore them and not fertilize, etc. I do ignore mine, but unfortunately they look like I do! Any suggestions?

God Bless you with your fight with breast cancer.

Donna

siteseer said...

you are so lucky to have an organic vegetable garden. Everything looks so healthy.

Troy said...

Sometimes i think that it is the act of gardening, rather than the produce from our gardens, that really contributes to our health.

What a fun and happy garden you have. I think gardens are a reflection on the gardener.

Maureen said...

Paw paws looks like a wonderful plant. Beautiful and fruitful!

eileeninmd said...

Your garden look great and so healthy. Have a great weekend and enjoy the rewards from your garden.

Erin said...

Isn't it exciting to see what you can coax out of the earth? I love it.

Tootsie said...

the amen in a garden is always a flower (or a fruit)
your gardens are lovely...I always find something to play with in my gardens...they never stop changing!
thank you for linking in...I have enjoyed my visit and hope you will share again!

Billie said...

I love your vegetable garden! I wish I could grow one half as nice.

HisFireFly said...

Wow.. the passion fruit vines look amazing! Our growing season is doubltess too short to even attempt such a fruit.

We also grow without chemicals.

Blessings as you harvest..

girlichef said...

Your garden is beautiful!! I really want to get some sweet potatoes in the ground here...wonder if it's too late? I will remember next year for sure =) Thanks so much for sharing this with Two for Tuesdays!

Green Tidings said...

You have a lovely garden! It really makes you appreciate your food more, knowing the hard work and patience that went into growing it!

Jacqueline said...

What a beautiful garden and such unusual plants. The colors are just extraordinary. Oh how I wish I could grow passion fruit. I think it is my favorite flavor in the world. I don't know what paw paw tastes like, but it is a great plant. Nice to meet you on outdoor Wed.

nannykim said...

Never had a paw paw or however you spell it!! Hope you are doing well!

http://nannykim-nannykim.blogspot.com/