Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Friday, August 27, 2010

Food Garden in Its Second Year

My second year of gardening is so much better than my first.









The ongoing work on the soil is producing much stronger crops and the careful watering and fertilizing of the fruit trees is showing bounty.


Self seeding is adding variety and richness to the produce. I have been digging food scraps straight into the soil to add nutrients and body and the potatoes, lettuces and chrysanthemum below are all self seeded.







The nectarine and pepino trees that struggled to become established are now showing their first blossoms.















9 comments:

Darla said...

Please share what types of food scraps you are sowing directly in the soil...I have done this before with much success...would like to know more.

Jackie said...

You should be proud, your garden is wonderful. You will really benefit from it this coming Summer :)

21st Century Housewife© said...

Your garden is looking great! I was interested to read that you can dig food scraps straight into the soil. I do put my coffee grounds in my vegetable garden but I have never tried that. It's a great idea.

Bangchik said...

self seeding is the way nature had been doing for zillion of years, and definitely the strongest will live. ~bangchik

Greenearth said...

Darla thank you for your question. The food scraps I dig back into my soil are from my vegetables, all raw such as peelings, stalks, seeds, bits I can't eat etc, nothing wasted, all back to the soil and also eggshells. I do not put cooked or processed food or oils into my soil.

Ann Kroeker said...

You might love the idea of a Food Forest--or is that what you're doing? Food Forests kind of go along with Permaculture concepts, which are just amazing (the one where they turned the desert into a thriving garden is astonishing), and it's people like you who are willing to boldly experiment and take risks who can try those things and see terrific results--enjoy your wonderful garden!

Mama Zen said...

I'm glad that you're having some luck. My garden was pretty much a fail this year.

Greenearth said...

Love the idea of a Food Forest Ann and am slowly building up my garden step by step.

Jingle said...

love your garden
they are beautiful and refreshing to look at.