Thursday, August 19, 2010

Herbal Tea from My Garden



Have succeeded in making a wonderful herbal tea from my garden this week.

It combines basil and lemongrass, and have a cup beside me now as I write.

It started when a fellow community gardener said he dried his basil and used it in cooking.

Was pulling out last year's basil at the time so decided to hang it up dry.

Another friend had just been to India where he said they had wonderful herbal teas from basil and thought it was from the seeds.

So put the basil seeds in a brown paper bag to dry as well.

Meanwhile brought a small herb grinding mill and last week put both the dried basil leaves and seeds through the mill.

The ground dried basil made a strong, sweet tea, but had lemongrass growing, so picked some of that, cut it up small and have been adding it to the basil tea for a lemon lift.

Am now planning to plant some chamomile and look at further herbal options.

6 comments:

21st Century Housewife© said...

I have made mint tea from my garden, but never any other kind. I love the idea of the basil and lemongrass, it sounds wonderful!

Ann Kroeker said...

So fascinating--I'd love to learn more about this, because a) I love tea, and b) it would be nice to make herbal tea from my own herbs, knowing they are organically grown, and c) it sounds creative and fun!

Bangchik said...

Haven't tried that yet. We have abundance of basil, white and purple flowers and lemongrass... ~bangchik

Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama said...

Thats really neat! I've never thought about making my own tea. I would love to make some mint tea..

Suzy said...

I've made basil tea before and it has a wonderful taste. Its been years though. I should try again!

Tootsie said...

how wonderful that you can enjoy your garden this way!!! thanks for linking in!