Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Joy of a Garden

How I love seeing things grow.

PhotobucketHere are the holes dug last Christmas for my new paw paw trees.

They were filled with water to prepare the soil for  planting, and dug square to allow the roots to reach out to the soil beyond.

Each tree was placed in its hole with a mixture of dolomite, soil from the holes and organic soil I had purchased.


Photobucket

Here are the paw paw trees just after planting, and here they are today.

They are red paw paws which are hermaphrodite so each one can produce fruit without the presence of another paw paw.

It is just such a joy to see trees growing and fruiting so quickly. Am so looking forward to those wonderful, ripe fruits.

My garden is new but already an ongoing adventure of change.


12 comments:

Jackie said...

I love paw paw. Learnt something new today. I often had problems with paw paw as I seemed to plant the male ones.

Bangchik said...

Nice looking plants. So paw paw is a close cousin to papaya or known simply as betik here. ~bangchik

Melissa said...

They look fantastic. It's so fulfilling to GROW things!

Linda said...

Those grew very quickly. Lovely!

zentmrs said...

Wow - they grew so fast! Lovely!

thyme2garden said...

I've never heard of paw paw, so I had to google it. The fruit looks so much like a tropical fruit, but this tree is native to North America! Fascinating. Do you like the taste of this fruit?

Greenearth said...

The fruit has a sweet taste and a soft, even texture that is easy to eat or blend.

Ms. Bake-it said...

Is the paw paw fruit similar or the same as papaya? I have several papaya trees that sprouted in an abandoned are of my compost pile this past spring. They are only about 4 - 5 feet tall right now. I love papaya so it was a pleasant surprise!

~ Tracy

Greenearth said...

I understand papaya paw paw which is a fast growing tropical fruit is different from the U.S. pawpaw, genus Asimina. It sounds like you have similar trees to mine Ms. Bake-it if they have grown so quickly.

Jami said...

Wish the peach trees I planted last fall grew and produced to fast. ;-) Amazing- thanks for sharing this at the Tuesday Garden Party!

Kuzak's Closet said...

Wow! Nature is amazing, thanks for sharing with us over at Sister Sister Sunday, see you again soon!

Sarah, the Healthy Home Economist said...

Gardening is definitely a resurging skill these days! Thank you for sharing these ideas at Monday Mania this week!