Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sustainable Gardening Metamorphoisis

My new sustainable garden is bringing so much joy.
 
The soft purple of the jacaranda amongst the larger trees at the bottom of the garden is one of the many joys.


But as the garden develops I have noticed a metamorphosis in my gardening style.

Planting a choko on an existing bush as below is one such change.











Originally my garden was about control and order but now I am allowing the plants to evolve and enjoying the discoveries.



These Chia plants are an example of this. They were purchased as small seedlings at the markets and now they are growing well in their allocated position.

I don't know how they will grow. This is a new plant here and the person selling them is asking me how they are growing.

I looked forward to discovering their growth pattern.




This nutty flavored cress is another such find.

It is growing from a small cutting I was given and its mother plant is large.

It seems to be enjoying its position and I am again looking forward to seeing how it progresses in my garden.







Dandelions are also a new discovery. The one to the left is a magnificent plant that is only small because I eat from it each day. I cut the dandelion and have it on top of a hot dish or salad. It is plant I find gives me energy.



The beans above hanging on a frangipane tree are a pioneer bean called lazy housewife's bean. They were also another market find and seem to be the strongest beans I have grown. They grow quickly and are very large so am beginning to see why they are called lazy housewife beans.

The goji berry plant on the left is also an innovation. It was in my local plant shop but noone there had seen it before so could not give any information. It looked frail when first planted but now seems strong and I look forward to seeing its progress.

The soil is the garden is now becoming richer and perhaps this gives the confidence to try the untested. Every vegetable scrap is recycled straight back onto the garden where after the birds have had their fill the remainder seems to quickly break down into soil. Leaves, grass clippings, all unsprayed green matter are put straight onto the garden and it is creating a fibrous, strong earth for new plantings.

Soon I hope to add rock dust to my soil. This will further increase the food quality of my vegetables. More on that later.

12 comments:

www said...

I just discovered your blog. This is excellent work. Congratulations! We try to live green but have not yet been successful.

EatHealthyLiveWell said...

Your greens look so good! I've heard you could eat dandelions but haven't given it a try yet. If it gives more energy, I'm certainly up for trying.

momstheword said...

I have never eaten a dandelion but I did try a nastursiaum (spelled wrong) once!

I love the "lazy housewife bean" name, lol! I hope to have a garden someday but hoping won't get me there. I need to just start.

Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

Jean said...

All your plantings look great. We have dandelions in our yards here and hate them! I've only heard of making dandelion wine but never eating them. Jean

photowannabe said...

Love your garden of discovery. Enjoy.

Roger Owen Green said...

interesting. you're taking the lighter touch w the garden; seems sage.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

marginalia said...

I love the idea of letting your garden find its own way—

Lovely photos.

Linda
ABC Wednesday Team

Rosemary said...

Wonderful post. Enjoyed my visit will be back.

Tumblewords: said...

A terrific post - I'm going to keep coming back while I get smarter about growing greens...:)

Christy said...

I love how your garden is growing and becoming more flowing and real - I know you can eat dandelion leaves, I just have never done it. Next spring I plan on foraging some from the area. Thanks for sharing your garden with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Butterpoweredbike said...

Thank you so much for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop, I'm very excited to read about the evolution of your garden. I gardened very intensively this last year, but now I'm wondering how I can garden with less of an insistence on control, and just letting things be, taking advantage of the conditions that I have. I loved seeing your garden.

Butterpoweredbike said...

I wanted to thank you again for linking with the Hearth and Soul hop. I liked your post so much that I'll be featuring it in my Best of the Blog Hop post this week :)