Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Community Gardening, Rock Dust, Minerals and Real Food.




As a member of a community Garden I am on a constant discovery curve about growing quality food.

Varsity Lakes Community Garden is organic food growing but now we have a new Brix Meter.

Brix Readings show the natural mineral content of foods and to grow food with good natural mineral content the soil needs minerals.

I thought I had really worked my soil but my Brix Readings are disappointing and  I hope this will be changed by using Rock Dust.

We are obtaining Rock Dust in a week or two to add to our soil's surface.

This rock dust is straight from a mineral rich source and fine enough to break down quickly and feed the soil the minerals it is lacking.

This dust will enable my Brix Reading to soar and the food I grow to have real nutritional value.



13 comments:

Carol said...

I believe biodynamic gardening has many ways of enriching your soil too. Good luck with your efforts here. Your paintings are poetic and mystical! ;>)

21st Century Housewife© said...

Very interesting post - I had not heard of rock dust before. Your garden looks lovely by the way!

shopannies said...

your painting is amazing very pretty with beautiful colors

Donnie said...

Your photos are great. I especially like the tomato's.

AllieMakes! said...

Wow! That is really cool! I've never heard of rock dust! Will have to look into that.
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Jackie said...

Your communal garden looks so healthy I am surprised it lacks minerals. What a great tomato plant.

Never heard of rock dust before, learn something new every day from blogs :)

Darla said...

This is very interesting.

Self Sagacity said...

So sweet to see those lovely fruit and veggies, right from your own yard...I love the feeling don't you?

Lori E said...

Add me to the list...never heard of rock dust. I have heard of brix before but really didn't know what it was.
Nothing tastes as good as something we grow ourselves.

Rambling Woods said...

I had never heard of this either. I have to do some research and help to amend my garden beds next spring.. Thank you for posting to Nature Notes....Michelle

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

How nice! My daughter does community gardening..and loves it! Very dedicated.
How on earth do you keep up with all those meme's. Do you actually visit everyone? Now that is a dedicated blogger!! :)

MyMaracas said...

Interesting. I have never heard of a Brix meter or rock dust. Thanks for enlightening me.
:-)

Tootsie said...

I have looked everywhere and cannot find your fertilizer friday post. if I am completely out to lunch please re-direct me!