Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sustainable Garden Renewal

I brought my house because I could see it's potential but it felt so dead when I first got my key I cried.

Now it is alive. The soil is renewed with ongoing additions of compost, organic mulch, vegetable scraps and plant waste, seaweed liquid, blood and bone and lime.

Next I will be adding  rock dust to the soil to increase the nutrient content of the food I grow.

When I first dug the soil there were no worms, now each time I dig I find plentiful worms busy renewing the soil from within.

Worms will always find your garden when there is food for them in the earth.

My membership at the local community garden has been invaluable in creating my home garden.

Both the shared knowledge and practical experience have allowed me to understand the soil in a whole new way.

What we are doing together at the community garden is showing me that food can be plentiful without chemicals when you feed the soil what it requires.

The strong plants that result from getting the soil right are not attractive to pests.

Companion planting also creates healthier plants.

At my own home the birds that feed on the surrounding trees are also great allies in keeping a healthy garden. If you look hard you will see some of my garden birds breakfasting among the blossom.






21 comments:

momstheword said...

I used to get all grossed out whenever I encountered a worm in my flower garden, until I read about them overturning the soil and all the good that they do!

Your garden is lovely as usual! Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday.

Marisa said...

Love all your garden shots :)

amatterofhowyouseeit.com said...

Wonderful garden images.

Jessica said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. I felt the same about my house when we bought it. Bushes dead, no flowers....
Now we the bushes are alive and lush-we have three veggie gardens that feed our family. I just love it!

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

I bet your yard is beautiful from inside the window looking out!!!!


My Macro photos are posted now if you'd care to join me when time allows.

jo©o said...

Your house looks a little large to be carried on a transporter :-)

Good luck with your green gardening methods.

gardenwalkgardentalk.com said...

Lovely garden shots. That is one big and happy sunflower. The worms are a blessing for the garden. I almost cry when I plunge the spade in and cut into worms. To me this is a tragedy. I just hope it is true that both ends live on. I heard that as a kid, but kinda doubt it. Something new to investigate.

Plant Chaser said...

Congratulations on the transformation of your home and garden. -- Bom @ www.plantchaser.com

Kim, USA said...

Love garden shots. I also thought that worms in the soil is grossed until hubby told me that it means somebody is working my garden and the soil is good. Great post here thanks for sharing!
Macro-Lemon

The Homemaker said...

I met you through Metamorphosis Monday. Your garden looks fabulous! Thanks for the inspiration - both of your garden and being a survivor!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Our first house had not one bit of growing green in the yard --not even weeds. When we sold it 22 years later, it was awfully hard to leave the borders and plantings we loved to much. We lived along a river so were especially careful about how we tended it.

Our current house luckily came supplied with some lovely perennial borders and a wonderful ancient grape vine that thrives on benign neglect.
Your pictures are gorgeous!
Cass

Rosemary said...

What alot of work you have done , all looks very happy and alive.

perennialgardener said...

Sounds like you have done everything right, since the worms are obviously very happy. :)

Jean said...

Beautiful pictures of your garden! Soil is so important to growing healthy plants. Jean

Donnie said...

Those were gorgeous photo's. Happy Outdoor Wednesday.

Denise said...

All your hard work paid off, you have a magnificent garden.

lotusleaf said...

Congratulations for transforming your place into a beautiful garden!I am also following the same organic way in my garden, and I find that my plants are stronger and more pest- resistant.

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

We just love worms here in TN!!! Never thought I'd say that but it's true!!!

Mary Joy said...

Oh how lovely! Your garden is so pretty and seems so healing for one's spirit. Thank you so much for sharing your little haven!

Blessings!

Mary Joy

Theresa said...

Great garden and congrats on your green restoration!

AllieMakes! said...

All that fresh green is SO lovely!
It looks beautiful!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com