Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Community Vegie Patch Ascends Skyward


This year have built my community vegie patch skyward to create shade from the summer heat.


Noticed tomatoes were survivors in last year, so this year lots of cherry tomatoes have been planted.


Ceylon Spinach and beans also thrive in the heat and produce enough for regular feeds.


The lavender hedge is another summer stalwart giving both  shade and  fragrance.


Lavender also provides mulch with its prolific growth and need for pruning.


Other summer favorites are basil of which I grow several different types and carrots. Love the red heritage carrots and plan to plant many more.













9 comments:

bettyl said...

What a lovely garden! It's always nice knowing you grow your own food!! Great post.

Gillian said...

Wow, awesome garden. Nice to see some green & growing things! Thanks!!

Donnie said...

Can't wait til I can do some planting in the spring again. Happy new Year.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Everything growing so healty and green. Your purple king climbing bean look nice. Ours are sick at the moment with desease.

Appalachian Feet said...

This is a great looking garden! It looks like you have a lot of experience growing a huge variety of food plants (I was so jealous to see you got a pepino to fruit -- I have awful luck with those).

Maybe you'd consider singling one of these foods out in it's own post and submitting it to the How to Find Great Plants carnival? The due date is Dec 31st, here's the link:

http://www.appalachianfeet.com/2010/11/12/how-to-join-the-new-blog-carnival-called-how-to-find-great-plants/

Linda said...

Your garden is making me yearn for warmer weather...I have some pesa and lettuce but it is supposed to frost tonight, so I don't know if they'll make it.

Sense of Home said...

Beautiful, I am hoping to go vertical with more of my plants this summer. I need more space.

-Brenda

AllieMakes! said...

Very neat! I have been toying with an idea of a garden this year... Will have to investigate the verticle idea for shade, as it gets brutal around here...
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

KaHolly said...

I always enjoy my visits to your posts. You have a wonderful garden, so very thoughtfully planted. What a great honor to be asked to post in the Find Great Plants carnival. Happy New Year, karen