Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Sustainable Home


I searched everywhere to find a home I could make sustainable. Finally I found it, an old house made of hardwood with a tin roof.

It was previously a government housing built fifty years ago and I loved the honesty and simplicity of its construction.


These older houses were also built in the middle of sizable blocks of land as it was expected after the war people would grow their own vegetables, something I am now doing here.

Louvre windows were added for cross ventilation.



The lino was taken up and the floor finished with a GREENGARD certified water based finish which was cost effective with other products. So good to have no VOCs

The surface is strong and durable but looks and feels natural, and is the first thing friends comment on when they visit.

The interior was repainted with a paint that emitted no VOC's and used no toxic pigments. Lots of plants inside as well and all natural surfaces.

Have lived here now a year and am amazed at the different energy I feel living with sustainable solutions.


8 comments:

gardenwalkgardentalk.com said...

I love the architecture and form of your home. Sustainability is good in any era.

momstheword said...

I love the flooring, beautiful! Also love how you decorate with plants.

I have a few indoor plants, although not nearly as many as I used to (I used to have over 40 of them).

How awesome to know that our homes aren't harming us. I really have to watch our paint choices, etc., as I have asthma. But it's just a healthy choice anyway.

Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

amatterofhowyouseeit.com said...

The flooring is beautiful as is your home. The light in the last image is just fabulous too.

Nikki . said...

Your home is beautiful... love the seascape in the background of the first one.

Serendipity Chic Decor said...

Your photos bring out such a warm comfortable vibe. I love the idea of a tin roof....

Take care,
Lisa

Deanne said...

I just found out through a comment on my blog from someone who loved the louvres in my bedroom that louvres are not available in the US. You learn something new everyday.
I love your full length lourves!

Unknown said...

Nice house, air have access everywhere.

Heating Melbourne

aman said...

Hi
It’s hard to find knowledgeable people regarding but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks for sharing this with others.energy efficient construction