Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Real Food, Maqui Berry, Drumstick Tree, Taro, Purslane and ?




Have just planted some new food sources and the Drumstick Tree pictured  left is one of these.

"Moringa oleifera has been called one of the world's most useful trees.

It continuously produces edible flowers and green seed pods that are a cross between peanuts and asparagus, and can provide cooking oil.

The leaves are edible, 38% protein with all essential amino acids.

The roots can be used as  horseradish and medicinally.

It is drought tolerant and has another special attribute.

Its dried seeds can be crushed to purify water to drinking standard.














To the right is my maqui berryh another powerful food.

The nursery stated its blue berries would be packed with disease fighting Anthocyanins and photochemicals, so out went my budget and home went the tree.

I look forward to it producing prolific blue berries three times more poweful than acai berries and eight times more powerful than blueberries.

Seems water hungry at present so getting a lot of TLC.











And this is Purslane a lemon flavored salad vegetables with the highest amount of heart-healthy omega-3 fats of any edible plant, according to researchers at the University of Texas at San Antonio.

The scientists also report that this herb has 10 to 20 times more melatonin — an antioxidant that may inhibit cancer growth — than any other fruit or vegetable tested.


This is Taro a food I was introduced to at my community garden.

One of the gardeners from New Guinea showed how to harvest the corms and made a delicious curry for all to share.

The corm may be boiled, baked, fried or barbecued as well as cooked in curries and in coconut milk.


Traditional communities also cook the leaves like any green vegetable.




I am not sure what the plant below is. It has grown from my garden scraps which I dig into the soil.

It is either ginger or turmeric. Would welcome clarification before I harvest.


11 comments:

gardenwalkgardentalk.com said...

You really have interesting plant facts and uses on your site. I have been enjoying learning by coming here.

Jedediah said...

I hadn't heard of any of those plants before. I wish I had a garden to try cultivating them myself.

Arija said...

Where, oh where can I get a Drumstick tree? It sounds a great food source and is particularly attractive being drought tolerant.

Tao I already have but it is struggling in our shade-house being a tropical plant that needs sultry, wet summers and dry winters, the reverse of what we normally have.

Very informative post and much appreciated.

Greenearth said...

Thanks for your inquiry Arija.

I got my Drumstick Tree sent to me from Daleys Nursery.

A great place for sourcing difficult to access plants.

Rambling Woods said...

Interesting as I am not familiar with any of these plants.....

KaHolly said...

Very, VERY interesting! The only plant I'm familiar with here in the states (I'm in San Antonio at present) is Purslane. Thanks for the info! ~karen

Greenearth said...

I have just discovered these plants myself and they are exciting for the potential they have to provide quality nutrients to many.

The drumstick tree is also being investigated as a way to provide inexpensive, clean water in countries with this need.

Melodie said...

I love learning new information about plants. Thanks!

Karen said...

What a fantastic post! The drumstick tree in particular sounds fantastic, what an amazing plant. To think the seeds can purify water...just phenomenal.

Jami said...

The only one I've ever heard of is Purslane. :-) Great information!

Rebecca Nickols said...

Interesting info on unusual, but useful plants. Thanks for sharing :)