Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sustainable Garden Moments


It has been so wet for so long it was a joy to venture forth in the sun and find some garden moments to share.


Finally flowers on the frangipanes I grew from cuttings from a friend's garden.



They were pulling down their house to rebuild and their tree is now destroyed but lives on in six new trees at my home.







The frangipanes are also providing wonderful summer shade and useful support for my climbers, including beans, tomatoes and goji.

The goji are a great source of antioxidants and also contains 21 trace minerals, including germanium, an anti-cancer trace mineral rarely found in foods.


Strawberries, turmeric and turnips are growing beneath.

Love using fresh turmeric from the garden.

This is such a power packed  food.

Grated in any dish it gives a wonderful healthful lift.

The turmeric is self planted from vegetable scraps which I dig into the soil.




Dandelion and comfrey are in this picture.


The dandelions I eat daily chopped on top of my steamed vegetables or in a salad. They a powerful yet gentle liver cleansing herb and also support the kidneys.


I grow comfrey for what it can do to my soil.

Its deep roots cleanse and it also produces one of the best mixtures to enrichen your soil when soaked in water.

The decomposed liquid has a strong smell.

It also has many external medicinal uses but there is controversy over ingesting this plant because of alleged toxic components.









These are cassava trees cultivated from cuttings which I will plant out next year.

The cassava tree is one of the worlds most widely used food sources but it must be cooked correctly to detoxify it before it is eaten.

The leaves and roots are both eaten.

There are a wide range of exciting and delicious dishes made around the world from cassava.

I look forward to discovering these dishes.


11 comments:

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Beautiful blossoms...this is MY kinda Winter photos. No snow! I've seen a lot of snow with the Outdoor Wednesday posts. Yours is so refreshing.

My Wednesday Link Do take time to stop by if you can. I also have a Christmas Day Gift Giveaway for you if you'd like to click on the very top button [Santa button] on my blog that'll direct you to another page, to view my gift,...sign up for your chance to win!!

Mary said...

Your photos are a treat for winter weary eyes. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Donnie said...

I love your photos and everything looks so lush. Happy Outdoor Wednesday.

Leora said...

So you have: frangipanes, goji, beans, tomatoes, turmeric, strawberries, turnips, dandelions, comfrey. I would LOVE fresh turmeric. When can I come visit? ;-)

KaHolly said...

I'm DEFINITELY going to have to take the time to peruse your archived posts! What great information, and you make it so easy to understand. ~karen

Rambling Woods said...

I always learn so much from your posts and it's because of you that we are looking into more organic foods....Michelle

Greenearth said...

So pleased to know you are discovering organic foods.

Carver said...

Great post. So much good information as well as good photography.

21st Century Housewife© said...

You have some amazing plants in your garden - they are beautiful!

Denise said...

Great photos and I always love the information you give in your posts, always interesting.

Melodie said...

Fun and informative too. Thanks for sharing!