Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Community Garden Beds Survive Wet


After a wet, sticky holiday break the community garden is standing up well.

Some members are leaving land fallow with February ahead, its high humidity and consequent pests.

My own garden is still supplying prolific beans, tomatoes and basil, but the present humidity seems to have been too much for my lavender hedge.

Came back from six days in Christchurch and the powerful Boxing Day earthquake to find my lavender looking dead and stick like. It had been green and thriving when I left.

It has been two years since I was last in Christchurch where two sisters live and last time was still living in my apartment block and recovering from a third cancer surgery and radiation.

I was amazed to observe how my much my energy levels have improved since I changed my lifestyle.

It was a busy family Christmas plus ongoing earthquakes yet I was, full of a new energy and able to keep up with the most lively of my relatives.

A very different story from the years before I discovered sustainable living and lead a lifestyle full of toxic chemicals.

Having this wonderful community garden has been such an important factor in this change.

It has given me both knowledge of our soil and access to a new range of organic plant foods.




9 comments:

hobbyentusiast said...

Thanks for sharing your photos. Soo beautiful. I wish I`ll be there.

Rambling Woods said...

I am so happy that you are seeing such positive health benefits from your change of lifestyle...I need to make more changes to mine...Michelle

Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

My lifestyle changes me! The direction of which governed by someone with a sence of huner. Glad seeing you are going to pot.

21st Century Housewife© said...

Sorry to hear about the lavender - and those earthquakes must be very frightening too. The garden is looking lovely though - really lush and beautiful.

Appalachian Feet said...

Earthquakes and cancer are larger hurdles than most of us experience! Soggy beds sounds a bit more common. This is an uncommonly beautiful community garden though -- what an inspiring post. :)

AllieMakes! said...

Oh, to have this garden! Your posts keep nudging me towards trying a veggie garden this year!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Carver said...

That's a beautiful community garden and I'm glad its doing so well.

eof777 said...

What a lovely garden... I had one for years but the competition with deer was so fierce... eventually they won!
Stopped by to follow your blog from Linda's Lunacy blog hop... do comment/follow me back :-)
Have an abundant 2011! :-)
Best,
Elizabeth
Positive Kismet Blog

weddingdressesanglew said...

Thanks for sharing this with all of us. Of course, what a great site and informative posts, I will bookmark this site. keep doing your great job and always gain my support.wedding dresses