Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Changing the Way I Live

My initial urge to live differently came when I was recovering from a third breast cancer.

My readings were opening my eyes to the role of environmental toxins in breast cancer and I wanted to find a way where I could live as naturally as possible.

I was well aware that my enthusiastic acceptance of all things new and fashionable had impacted on my body over the years and I wanted a chance to renew and contribute to life again.

I said to myself this time no more than I need and everything as close to nature as possible.

An old wooden government house on a hill was a welcome find especially as nothing had been done to it since it had been built.

Walls were opened up to make space, louvre windows gave ventilation and all paints and floor finishes were VOC friendly.

Outside was the second part of my plan. I wanted to grow my own food.

The house had no garden, a great place to start and a community garden was starting just down the road where I was able to learn  how to grow organic food.

Slowly and steadily I am working on restoring the soil and growing food plants.

As the reality of Global Warming becomes more intense I am realizing this way of living I began to renew my own body is also in harmony with the needs of our planet.

The next plans for my new way of living budget willing will be to add water tanks and solar panels to husband these resources more efficiently

Living this new way is definitely a journey of discovery and one of the most exciting of my life.















4 comments:

Deb said...

Just wanted to thank you for sharing...

momstheword said...

Your home is so open and light! I love how you decorate with plants. Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

Carol said...

Looks like you have an interesting journey ahead of you. Very pretty spot to explore that in.

Green Tidings said...

Found your blog on EYB. What a wonderful journey you are on! Good luck, and thank you for sharing this! :)