Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Monday, February 28, 2011

Rosella Sorbet - Gluten and Lactose Free


This delicious sorbet recipe was given to me by friend at my community garden.

The rosellas I used to make these delicious ices came from a rosella bush in her community garden patch



The recipe requires a cup of rosella flower calyxes which are the red bits around the inner green seed core as shown in the photo.

These are placed in a saucepan with a cup of sugar and three cups of water.
Two slices of ginger and the juice of a lime are also added.


The mixture is then cooked for five minutes or until the color and flavor are extracted from the rosellas, then strained and cooled.

I cooled mine by placing in cold water in the sink.



The cooled mixture is next placed in the freezer until a thin crust forms on top.

It is then taken from the freezer and stirred with a fork to break up the ice particles forming.

This procedure is followed every fifteen to twenty minutes till there is no liquid left.

You now have a delicious rosella sorbet to serve on its own, as a refreshing mid course or as a dessert with a mild fruit such as lychees.

Mine was divided into individual cups and served as part of the lunch at Rebecca's Tool Workshop.

The general consensus was that the flavor was refreshing and subtle.





4 comments:

gardenwalkgardentalk.com said...

That looks yummy and I like the title Tempt My Tummy.

shopannies said...

what a fancy little recipe I love the beautiful pink color

TexaGermaNadian said...

I have never heard of Rosella! I am googling right now, haha. Stopped over from Totally Tuesdays :)
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

Jessi said...

I'm stopping by from the Totally Tuesday Blog Hop.

This is such a unique recipe! It looks good!

Jessi
http://thejuicilife.blogspot.com