Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Survival Food Garden Grows

The power and fury of the Yasi and the horrific Queensland Floods have enforced an awareness of our planet's vulnerability.

Shops were without foods as access to food supplies were cut off and now the cruel reality of many foods growers destroyed by flood or storm.

My own garden seems a safe haven from this new reality.

The Drumstick Tree is so pretty I haven't yet brought myself to eat more than a few leaves, but this will change now I have found a wonderful dhal recipe that includes its nutritious leaves.















Casava is another nutitious food I am learning to grow.

This plant is grown from a cutting and still small but growing fast in the hot summer weather.

Added rock dust to the soil last night and seem to have left some on the leaves.

Rock dust includes minerals which strengthen plants as provide the nutrients lacking in contemporary soils.

Have already noticed a lack of pests since started giving regular feeds of rock dust to the soil.















The beautiful guava and heirloom raspberry plant were gifts from my sister who stayed after Christmas. A big thank you.

It was too hot to plant till now but yesterday was cooler with gentle rain so decided to go ahead.

Today is hotter so lots of TLC for them both in the coming weeks.







The feijoa plant was in the local nursery when I returned from Christmas in New Zealand and decided to add it to my fruit trees.

They had a wonderful fig plant as well so it was one of those days and home came the fig tree.

It is growing well and can't wait for those fresh figs. 
And last but not least my beautiful turmeric plant. It grew from the food scraps I dug into the soil but is now a large, dramatic plant that provides bountiful rich yellow turmeric.


10 comments:

Jedediah said...

All really gorgeous plants. Raspberries are among my favourite fruits, I wish I could grow them myself.

Darla said...

It would be hard for me to eat such beautiful plants!

Karen said...

Beautiful plants and nutritious, too. The best of both worlds! Thank you for showing me what these plants look like, I've never seen them before.

Carver said...

Your edible garden is so beautiful.

Paula said...

Very cool post - very inspirational - thanks for sharing these lovely pictures and your knowledge. Paula in Idaho (USA)

AllieMakes! said...

I am LONGING for green right now! We have 2 feet of snow STILL on the ground! it has been too cold to get ANY melting! I wish I was in your green yard, RIGHT NOW!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Megan Hassen said...

What a beautiful post! There is so much that can be grown on a small plot of land. We should all get rid of our grass and plant food!

Musings by Robert said...

I enjoy watching your garden GROW.
Some plants and leaves are new to me, but others are known. Thanks for your interesting posts.

A Joyful Noise said...

I am happy that your garden spot was not harmed by the turmoil. Your trees, leaves, vegetables and fruit are interesting although some are new to me.

Tootsie said...

you have always got such beautiful photos to share! I am so glad you linked in this week to share your lovely plants! they all look soooooo healthy!