Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Learning to Save Money in the Vegetable Garden

The first year in my vegetable garden I always seemed to be buying things.


Now I am learning to garden smarter and save money.


By throwing grass clippings, and weed free green cuttings under the tree at the bottom of the garden, and digging vegetable scraps and soil into these piles I now have a rich mix in which to grow seedlings.




Compost and seedlings were such a large expense in my first garden year, but this collection of tomato seedlings ready to begin their journey in my garden  actually grew out of the compost so again a saving.


Small `pioneers' as self sown plants are called are much hardier than anything you could buy.





This magnificent ginger plant was also self sown, a result of digging vegetable scraps into the garden soil to add body.

Nothing compares to fresh ginger from your own vegetable garden.

My next journey into saving money will be by seed saving and propogating.

This journey is already beginning with a collection of small trees in my nursery area under the shade of a large tree.

The weather is just beginning to be ideal for gardening here and feels like there is so much to do.





11 comments:

Babs said...

Great tips for a greener life. I compost in a small way by composting kitchen scraps. The ginger plant is gorgeous. Have you been able to get ginger root from it? Have a great week.

momstheword said...

How awesome it must be to be able to grow things and then eat them! My sister lived with us for awhile and she had a garden in the back, but we've never had one since!

Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

Tami @ ThisMomsDelight.com said...

I'd like to start my own garden, but I'm sure it takes lots of time and effort. :D

What's in a name.. said...

Following you via To The Top Tuesdays BLog Hop. Hope you will follow me too @ http://masalabowl.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-290-blog-hops.html

Elle said...

Following from To the Top Tuesday blog hop. Simple Wyrdings

Bethe77 said...

Love your garden. Makes me long for a yard so I might so some gradening once again instead of out of pots. But I do enjoy my pots.
Blessings

grammy and papi said...

Enjoyed your post on saving money in the vegetable garden. Papi saved seeds from last year and is planning on starting his own plants. He better get busy don't you think.

Have a God Filled Day
Shirley

Haley said...

Following you from What's Allie's Making Now. Great tips! We are exercising our green thumb this spring...fingers crossed.

Leora said...

Your seedlings are delightful! I keep thinking it's time to start gardening (I did plant some peas and scattered some dill seeds), but then we got snow! again!

Linda Reeder said...

We have been composting for many years. It works! but i don't think I could grow ginger here!

The Sage Butterfly said...

Great info, great tips, great info. I love your blog, your pics, and your images.