Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Sunday, April 10, 2011

No Dig Garden Built from Tree


I hate to cut down any tree but when my neighbor asked if the tree at the bottom of my garden could be removed I understood.

It was right above their home and had the potential to fall on them in wild weather.

The tree people did a wonderful job cutting down the tree, and I got the added bonus of a large pile of mulch.

My next plan was to use the mulch to create a `No Dig Garden'.

This involved first laying cardboard on the lawn, then wetting the cardboard.

Shredded cow manure was next added to the cardboard and then a layer of mulch was added.

The next day rock dust was sprinkled on the mulch and watered in.

Soil where I live is depleted of minerals and rock dust replenishes the minerals in the soil.Next a further layer of mulch was added.

The results were pleasing, but still a lot of planting to be done.


Many seedlings and small trees are being nutured in my nursery area.





Have planted out the drumstick seedlings but they are not looking as good as hoped after their long wait for the tree to come down and there is still a large pile of mulch waiting for another project.




4 comments:

momstheword said...

Your backyard looks beautiful!

We had part of a tree fall on our house during a windstorm. Part of the tree just split in half and landed on the roof.

We heard the craaaack! and went running because we knew what was falling. After that, we had the rest of it taken down. Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

The Sage Butterfly said...

You have done a great job! I like that you have taken the tree, transformed it into mulch, and then used it in your garden.

Maggie said...

What a great idea this is, I've never heard of anything like it before.
Good luck with the planting up.

Genie said...

Wait until I shot this post to my husband. He is going to be a true believer and is going to want to give it a try. what a great idea. I have my fingers crossed all goes well and your garden is very productive.