Friday, April 29, 2011

No Dig Garden from Tree Extended.



At last the large pile of mulch from the trees my neighbors and I had removed is gone, and I have an area with sunlight, rich soil and good drainage in which to extend my food garden.

Today I planted five small paw paws in this new area. They were fragile plants but are already looking lively in their new home.

The weather is perfect at present with intermittent sunlight and showers and very moist soil.



Beside the Rose Apple Tree I planted in the bottom of my garden about a year ago I have added some yellow squash plants.

The Drumstick Tree and mandarin tree have adapted well to their moist, sunny positions.

The Custard Apple Tree is a another new planting. It said to plant it on a mound and I have created quite a large mound to keep its feet dry.

Today also added sweet potatoes to the mound. A fellow gardener told me by planting on a mound with all the roots bunched and planted together you obtain more tubers. She recommended cutting back the green shoots as they grew. You can use these new shoots in stir fries.

Do hope her advice is successful. My results with sweet potatoes have left much to be desired.


2 comments:

Carla said...

I am a no dig gardener too, thanks to this method my flower bed did great the last two years on its own. Interesting info on the sweet potatoes, will have to try this. (I want paw-paws, hope they do well for you)

Tootsie said...

this is a very neat thing you are doing! I will have to give it a try! thanks for the flaunt this week...I can't wait to see things growing here...we are way behind you!