Friday, July 15, 2011

Breast Cancer, Sustainable Living, Fracking and Permaculture

When I started sustainable living it was a personal journey to stay well after a third breast cancer but now this journey has grown.

I had struggled to stay well in an apartment block where I lived in close proximity to a range of toxic chemicals. Out of the six apartments in the block there were five cases of cancer and two cancer deaths in a short period of time.

It is always difficult to pinpoint causes in situations like this but my instinct was to leave this environment and look for a different way of living.

My plan was to find a house I could make chemical free and which had land where I could grow food organically.

It took three years for my apartment to sell but finally it did and I found my house .

The house came with a further special gift, a community garden was starting just a block away and I was lucky enough to get a plot and learn there wonderful lessons including how to grow real food and renew the soil.

Workshops and events at the community garden introduced me to Permaculture and it's ability to renew.

My own health fragility had lead me to an understanding of the fragility of our planet's health and I have come to see Permaculture as a solution to both renewing and feeding our earth.

Knowing our earth could be healed made me so distressed when I discovered the destructive nature of fracking. Our earth, our water aquifers have taken so long to form and fracking, a quick economic fix is currently destroying both these valuable assets worldwide at a frightening rate.
I selected this post to be featured on Breast Cancer Blogs. Please visit the site and vote for my blog!

9 comments:

mississippi artist said...

I am so glad you found a house and a place to garden. There is nothing like a garden to calm your soul and nothing like good healthy fresh food.

danielhirsch said...

Nice Concept!!I Found your blogs while i was surfing and read your content.Your content and blog both are very nice.
Green Printer

Crafty Green Poet said...

it's great you found your house and that it had the community garden so close by!

Rambling Woods said...

I hear you..fracking is another way we are killing the planet and in the process ourselves....Michelle

Fishtail Cottage said...

Thanks for sharing at Cottage Flora Thursday's Garden Party! We have a lot of community gardens here in Seattle - they are always so pretty! xoox, tracie

Dianne said...

Community Gardens are such a good idea - we have one in our area and I often walk by and see people working and chatting.

"Adelaide and Beyond"

Pam said...

Congratulations on finding a new place with a community garden nearby. You are such an inspiration to have beaten cancer three times! Take care,
Pam

The Tablescaper said...

You're such an inspriation!

Thanks for being part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Tootsie said...

your community garden is always such a treat to see! such an inspiration!
thanks for linking in this week. I always enjoy stopping by here! I hope you will link in again soon!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.