Monday, September 19, 2011

New Foods, Perilla, Agrimony, Pursulane, Lebanese Cress and Drumstick Tree

Adding tasty herb leaves to salads is something I enjoy.

Gina Winters the speaker at September meeting of the Gold Coast Organic Growers extended this concept further by suggesting eating a few leaves from a variety of plants while in your garden was a great way to get vital nutrients.

My own garden is now boasting a wider range of herbs including perilla. This tasty herb is rich in minerals and vitamins, and has important anti-inflammatory properties.


Agrimony is a further nutritious herb known for cleansing the blood.

Pursulane considered a weed by some is the best plant source of omega 3 oils so important for keeping weight in check and bodies healthy.

Lebanese Cress is a great addition to any salad and can add decorative touches to a wide variety of dishes.


The Drumstick Tree so beautiful with its soft foliage is one of the most valuable garden plants. Its leaves are 38% protein and contain 8 essential amino acids. The leaves also have a unique and enjoyable taste.

So many new and valuable foods to discover. Will head out now and prepare a salad for lunch.


4 comments:

Riet said...

It is so interesting to learn about all those herbs and what they can do for you. Thank you for sharing

eileeninmd said...

Great post and info. It is nice to learn about the herbs and their benefits. Have a great weekend!

Leora said...

I have purslane growing in my yard, and I've been told it's good to eat, but I don't have the guts to do so. Love reading about all these herbs.

Rambling Woods said...

Now with my diagnosis of diabetes, I have to change my eating habits...