Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Survival Foods and Change


Change is happening in my garden.

The foods I now grow are ones I did not know about even a year ago.

These Red Dandelions pack a punch each day as part of my lunchtime salad or cut up and scattered on my evening meal.

They are tough perennials which once established are a good tonic for your liver.




Lebanese Cress is another perennial with punch.

It has the taste of cucumber and enjoys moist soil. In warmer climates it needs to be grown in the shade.

It grows quickly from cuttings, and makes a great ground cover.





Galangal is another new plant in my garden repertoire.

Not unlike ginger it is a stable of Asian curries and easy to grow in moist well composted soil.

Thought it had died in winter but already it is back at the beginning of spring.

When I began my garden it was broccoli and potatoes in neat rows, now my plants are combined together to deter pests and my range of plantings is becoming much more diverse. 

Sometimes I feel like a very slow learner but gradually am learning to compost, use a worm farm and grow new survival foods that can flourish under more stringent climate conditions.

Below are cassava and pigeon peas. This is the first time I have grown these plants and it will be a journey of discovery when they are harvested and cooked, yet these are staple foods for a large majority of our earth's inhabitants.

The passion fruit and nasturtiums are much more familiar but also hardy plants that can provide food under tough climate scenarios.


7 comments:

Fernando Pessoa said...

Great article Winsome!

sethhaines said...

Glad you linked to Ann's FF blog carnival. This is interesting to me. I've been reading a lot about raw and wild foods and their ability to stave off cancer (and such). I'm new to this game, but it's really intriguing to me.

Patti said...

It's so satisfying to grow your own food. The plants look great.

A Joyful Noise said...

Most of these are new to me, but I like to try new things.

ashok said...

Nice to hear of these survival foods greenearth. I have mentioned several tree foods in the same category in my blog

ramblingwoods.com said...

I always learn something new...red dandelions.. here the yellow ones are hated and poisoned....Thank you for adding this to Nature Notes.. Michelle

Leora said...

How wonderful your diversity of plantings is - the only plant I have in my garden that you mentioned is nasturtium.