Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Breast Cancer Prevention and Permaculture


This blog tells the story of my journey in breast cancer prevention after recovering from a third breast cancer and my discovery of permaculture on this journey.

There is so much good advice out there on breast cancer prevention including that from the the Mayo Clinic which includes developing healthy habits such as limiting the amount of alcohol you drink, staying physically active, maintaining a healthy weight, breast feeding and discontinuing hormone therapy.

All of these with the exception of breast feeding as I was unable to have children I was trying to put into practice when a third small breast cancer began.

The last piece of advice from the Mayo Clinic is to avoid exposure to environmental pollutants. They state some research suggests a link between breast cancer and exposure to the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons found in vehicle exhaust and air pollution.

My instinct was that the issue of environmental pollutants is much more complex than this. I decided to sell my apartment which was in a block of six apartments where to my knowledge five cases of cancer and three deaths have occurred in a space of a few years and find a new way to live.

Near my new house a community garden had just opened and I discovered at their workshops the relationship between healthy soil and healthy food.

With the knowledge gained at the community garden I attempted my dream of beginning my own sustainable home garden.

I sometimes think I am a slow learner for it was only much later I began to understand the nature and importance of permaculture.

Gold Coast Permaculture and its many powerful workshops really opened my eyes to a new way of both growing and eating food. It was and is also exciting to find so many other people looking for positive answers to old ways that cannot sustain quality life on this planet.

From a difficult time I had discovered permaculture, a new and healthy way of living for our planet and its people.


3 comments:

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

Enjoyed my visit. I went over and saw your art. I am an artist too so hope you will come by. I am your newest follower

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

I want'ed to be a follower but don't see a spot to join. Hope you have a great year.

Devante Rylee said...

Breast cancer is very bad for health but it is almost sees in woman's. Daily doing staying physically active, maintaining a healthy weight, Eating healthy foods and fruits, breast feeding and discontinuing hormone therapy. it is very helpful for every one.

Lyme disease symptoms