Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Permaculture Food Forest Provides Food in The Heat

My Permaculture Food Forest provides food in the heat.
Yesterday was the hottest day for several years but as the photo shows there was still a good harvest of food from my garden.

The plate contains some of the wonderful permaculture foods including Brazilian the crunchy, curly leaved perennial that seems to just go on growing in hot and dry weather while all around other plants wilt.

The egg like plant with purple stripes is a pepino a melon like fruit with a delicious sweetness when soft to the touch.

Purslane is also on my evening's plate. This plant is another favorite in permaculture gardens because of it contains alpha-linolenic acid, the highly sought after Omega-3 fatty acids usually obtained from fish oil. I eat purslane daily much less expensive than fish oil and much more accessible.

Among the tomatoes, passionfruit, mints, dandelions and peppers you will also see a large purple sweet potato.

At last I have succeeded in growing these thanks to my friend Monica from New Guinea. Monica showed me how to twirl long sweet potato runners into loops and place a group of these loops into the earth on a raised mound.  Now about five months later I am amazed at the size of the sweet potatoes I am harvesting. There will be a lot more of these loops placed into mounds in my new food forest.
 

6 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

Hard to think of really hots days now we are past them here...How interesting about being able to get the benefits of fish oil without the fish..I wonder if I could find that here as I have never heard of it. Thank you for linking up to Nature Notes....Michelle

EG Wow said...

I'm impressed with how much you grow in your garden.

Greenearth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Found you through Ann's linkup. Great to "meet" you. The food in your photos look delicious and healthy! Bon Appetit!

Ann Kroeker said...

Oh, I'm so hungry for that fresh produce! Yum! And I really love the permaculture philosophy. Thanks for sharing your bounty with us via Food on Fridays.

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

This is most impressive..I love the colors and have been steering my family toward raw veggies. I have never seen Brazilian spinach before and that sweet potato looks perfect. Visiting via Between Naps on the Porch.