Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Permaculture Home Garden Thrives in Heat



It was exciting to return from a Christmas break to find my permaculture home garden had thrived in the heat.

Last year I enjoyed learning about permaculture  but it is really special now to see its concepts beginning to bear `fruit' in my own garden.

Permaculture concepts include working with rather than against nature, of looking at natural systems in their entirety, and of allowing these systems to demonstrate their own evolutions rather than taking just one yield.



In my own garden this has meant looking at my food plants differently and also using many new food plants.

The sweet potato seen spreading across my garden for example not only provides delicious potatoes but its runners provide a ground cover that both shades and enriches the soil.

The pigeon peas growing along the fence line are also a many faceted plant.

It was suggested I plant them here as the soil was poor and they enrich soil fertility by fixing atmospheric nitrogen.

I am growing to love them because of their green peas which are like fresh peas.

I have also made a delicious dahl from the dried peas. A tasty recipe for all and a good protein source for vegans.

When I started out gardening I imagined neat rows of vegetables but learning to garden the permaculture way is proving a much stronger alternative with a great variety of nutritious foods available in even the most difficult of seasons.




7 comments:

Tina´s PicStory said...

beautiful green place :)

Leroy Coffie said...

nice blog and Happy New Year, added you from welcome Wed hop

LeRoy

Daddy Waddy Weeviews

The Sage Butterfly said...

Whenever I leave my garden, I always worry if all will be well when I return. It is nice that your garden was able to take good care of itself while you were gone! Happy new year!

Rambling Woods said...

Hope you had a good holiday..I love the idea of working with nature and judging by your garden, I would say that it works... Happy 2012..Michelle

Sueb said...

Interesting blog, I have been given a book on gardening with nature its a very interesting subject. It’s something I would like to do in my garden.

Bernie H said...

Your garden looks so happy and healthy despite your absence. You obviously don't need nice neat rows to have a productive garden.

trishsouthard said...

Thank you for taking the time to post on Breast Cancer prevention. My first time visiting and love your garden. Your photos bring the plants to life.