Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Monday, January 23, 2012

Sustainable Living and Breast Cancer




I can't believe how much better I feel since I have started living green.

Although I embraced modern living it did not work for me. Three separate breast cancers and a very large ovarian cyst confirmed I needed a new way of living.


One of the hardest things I found was not when I had the cancers but when I knew things were wrong with my body before each cancer and was not able to define what was wrong or find help.

This is why I am working to live a new way.

For someone with my history estrogen mimicking chemicals are on the avoid list.

I have what is called estrogen sensitive breast cancer which is feed by estrogen receptors.

A drug I take helps stop my body's estrogen feeding these receptors but estrogen mimics  in our environments also feed the same receptors.

Behind my sustainable living is the awareness that our environment has many sources of these estrogen mimicking chemicals and they are affecting not just individuals but our food chain, our ecosystems and the health of our planet.

My own home is as natural as I can make it and I realize now how hard my body was fighting for wellness but was simply unable to cope with the barrage of contemporary chemicals.

I am aware the breast cancer equation is complex and different for each woman but I am looking at the factors over which I have control and changing them.

2 comments:

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

I am sure having living green around, will help somehow. Call it healing, call it soothing....

momstheword said...

I always love seeing your beautiful pictures with the green outdoors. Makes me long for spring!

My brother said that he knew something was wrong for several months before he was diagnosed that first time. He didn't know he had cancer, of course, but he knew that he just wasn't feeling right.

It didn't help that his daughter was in a horrible accident and in a coma for a couple of months, so he sort of neglected his own health during that time, and put off going to a doctor. Now he's much more vigilant.