Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Breast Cancer and Cosmetics, A Survivor's Viewpoint

As a breast cancer survivor I have learned to use cosmetics with discernment.

Like most women I feel more attractive with a dash of color, but I have learned the hard way to take care with my choice of products.  

Many products clearly have ingredients I don't use such as parabens, sulfates, phlthalates and propylene glycol, but it can be much more difficult when a product tells you they don't contain any of these but still has several difficult to read chemicals inserted at the end of their ingredient list.

Diazolidinyl Urea is an example of these last on the list chemicals. This is  a preservative used by some organic brands to enable them to be called paraben free, but it is also a chemical that has created cancer in studies and been shown to cause endocrine disruption.

Two other examples of such chemicals are Cyclopentasiloxane or Cyclomethicone which can break down PVC based bottles, releasing toxins and possible carcinogens and Dimethicone which is being investigated for connections to different illnesses including lupus and cancer.

My rule of thumb is if I don't know what an ingredient is I don't buy the product.





No comments: