Sunday, March 4, 2012

My Sustainable Home, Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals & Breast Cancer


My sustainable home aspires to limit my exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals which are now seen as a factor in the development of hormone sensitive cancers.

This project was undertaken after recovering from a third breast cancer.




Simple changes can lessen ongoing exposures to these chemicals.

A metal electric jug rather than a plastic jug means each time you have your tea or coffee it does not come spiced with  cancer causing chemicals.

Replacing  your plastic drinking bottle with a metal bottle stops chemicals leaching into your drinking water.

Saving glass jars for storage also stops endocrine disrupting chemicals corrupting  healthy foods.

7 comments:

Appalachian Feet said...

I didn't know about this -- thanks for making me feel good about my metal electric teapot. I hope your upgraded environment pays off with excellent health!

Natasha in Oz said...

A very dear friend of mine passed away from breast cancer 2 weeks ago....This post is a timely reminder about all the little things we can do to try and stop this terrible illness.

Best wishes,
Natasha In Oz

Denise said...

Thanks for this information.

Laura said...

We have a family member who is just recovering and she has researched a lot of similar issues. Thank you for this, and for sharing it.

Michael T. said...

I love the sense of space and design of your place. Truly inspiring! I'll be sure to grab an idea or two for my own project :). Apartment Flat

Jagathk said...

Plastic is a big reason for cancers. You are right. Best solution is using metal equipments. Good information for all people

Computer Tips tricks

Ann said...

Interesting, friends encouraged me to ditch my non stick alumnium rice cooker, for an expensive stainless still one. Her dad died of cancer.

The practical advantage is I can wash my rice in the rice cooker pot. In the old pots, despite not washing rice in it, the "Plastic" non stick substance still comes off.