Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Organic Food Security Garden with Permaculture Plantings



I started out wanting to plant vegetables but in the process of gardening my concept of a food garden changed.

Many of the plants I now eat each day are ones I had not heard of before discovering permaculture and yet they are hardy perennials that provide a full range of nutrients.

The Mushroom Plant is one of these foods.

The leaves of the Mushroom Plant provide more protein than mushrooms and more calcium than other calcium rich plants such as almonds

This tough plant also builds and cleanses your blood.

Pigeon Peas are another discovery I now could not do without.

These hardy perennials provides an ongoing source of vitamin rich green peas which can be dried and used in dhal, sprouted or ground into a protein rich flour.

The Drumstick Tree is a further rich food source and such an attractive tree.

I love watching how quickly my Drumstick Trees are growing and although the leaves have a delicious taste,  are 38% protein and contain 8 essential amino acids it still sometimes feels hard sometimes to eat something so beautiful.

There is always something nutritious for dinner in a permaculture garden.




4 comments:

Libby said...

Wow!! What a great post. I did not know about any of these plants! I think I will look around your blog a bit ;)

Rambling Woods said...

I hadn't heard of any of these plants either...How interesting.. maybe they can only grow in your area as mine gets snow, but still people are very excited about the summer vegetable gardens here..and our farmer's markets..I am looking forward to them...Michelle

Kirsten Lindquist said...

thanks for stopping by my blog. Your's is fascinating! I've always been interested in permaculture.

Tootsie said...

I thank you so much for linking in this week. It is an honor to host Friday's Flaunt and meet new friends and visit the regulars (who are like old friends) who share. I always feel so privelaged to know that inspiration is just a click away when need a bit of a boost for my spirits! It is a pleasure to tour and see all the gorgeous blooms...landscaping and ideas that all the participants share, and I appreciate each and every link and comment! I hope you will link in again soon!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.