Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pigeon Peas, Breast Cancer Prevention & Food Security Plant


 I began growing my Pigeon Peas to bring nitrogen to an area of my garden where nothing seemed to grow and what a beautiful and delicious plant I have discovered.

So easy to grow from seed they have become a soft hedge like plant that continues to provide food in all seasons.

The Pigeon Pea is rich in potassium, phosphorus, magnesioum, and calcium. It has good amounts of iron and selenium and some zinc, copper and manganese. It also contains a full rang of vitamins and is a great alkalizing food.

I love eating them as a green pea steamed with some lemon or lime juice and a little olive oil.

But they can also be eaten when dry.

Mbaazi wa Nazi Pigeon Peas with Coconut Milk is the Swahili way to prepare Pigeon Peas. With  alkalizing coconut milk and turmeric to taste this is an excellent breast cancer prevention dish.

I will be continuing to grow this special plant in my garden now I have discovered what a special and ongoing food source it can be.





1 comment:

trishsouthard.com said...

My sweet sis just passed away from Breast CA a month ago. Thank you for taking the time to teach us all.