Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Monday, July 30, 2012

Sharing Cultural Garden Tips from a Community Garden
























A sunny, winter Sunday is a great time to learn cultural garden tips at the local community garden.

Dora and Sabina from New Guinea have special knowledge on many great food plants.

Their gardens flourish and provide food throughout the steamy, summer months when other gardeners are struggling.

They have shared how to get bumper sweet potatoes crops by looping the plants runners together and digging them into a raised mound.

They also grow Taro and Coco Yams great food security plants which provide ongoing nutritious tubers.

Sunday they were pruning their Aibika or New Guinea Spinach.

This is a plant I now also grow and  Dora and Sabina told me its leaves can be wrapped around fish before they are steamed.

They then add the steamed fish parcels to coconut milk and add other vegetables such as tomatoes to make a delicious stew.

Thank you for the share Dora and Sabina, I am so looking forward to trying out that recipe.

Love the way you mound up your soil round your Coco Yams and Taros as well.

I have dug mine into the ground but will be following your lead with my future plantings.








3 comments:

Anika said...

I amloving the images of that green and full of bio products garden, which taste I can only imagine!But not the least, I am admiring you so much for having this blog for us, as a testament for the amazing human's power and strenght! Thanks so much for everything you do for us, my dear,Greenearth!
Moving Services

Ann Kroeker said...

What a blessing to have these experts on hand to help you with your growing! I'd like more details on how they looped the plant runners together for the sweet potatoes. I can't quite picture that. I did a raised mound for them last year, but not this year. So if Dora and Sabina say it should be raised, I'll raise it next year and every year after that! I just need to learn about the "looping." Thanks for sharing these ideas with us at Food on Fridays!

Greenearth said...

The looping of the sweet potatoes is when you take the long runners and fold them so you have growing nodes at the end of each fold.

You then put these growing nodes into the earth at the top of your mound. (I usually put about six or eight in the mound).

I do hope this explains the looping.

If not let me know and I will do a blog post next time I plant sweet potatoes.