Friday, February 15, 2013

Breast Cancer Prevention and Plastic - Some Simple Ideas



Plastic and breast cancer are a bad combination.

My readings have indicated all plastics may leach chemicals if  scratched or dented and at certain certain exposure levels, some of these  chemicals including bisphenol A (BPA), may cause cancer.

 BPA most widely known plastic chemical  is actually a  weak synthetic estrogen that acts like an estrogen in the body and has been shown to be a factor in the development of hormone-receptor positive breast cancer.

My personal philosophy as a three times breast cancer survivor is to say no to plastic in my life wherever possible.

Certain exposures is a comfortable term for manufacturers but with so much plastic in our daily lives we all receive multiple exposures each day often without our knowledge.

Was surprised just the other day to find the little paper bags in which my favorite organic herbal teabags come individually packaged are actually plastic lined.

Meanwhile  I try to eliminate plastic exposure wherever  possible and the photos show some of my solutions.

All my food is stored in recycled glass jars.

I use stainless steel water bottles, and a stainless steel kettle.

My rice cooker has a terracotta cooking bowl.

 For packing lunches I have returned to the old standards of wax paper and brown paper bags. No plastic cling wrap in this house.

The cardboard containers used by one of my favorite raw food outlets are wonderful for freezing food, and I have finally eliminated tinned foods from my pantry.

Now I only purchase food sold in glass or other non plastic packaging.

Some great food out there using non plastic packaging and it gives me joy to support these enlightened manufacturers.

Discovering ways to eliminate plastic from everyday life is an ongoing journey which I know is also helping to create a healthier planet.

This post is part of Fight Back Friday.

2 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

I wasn't able to leave a comment on previous post but it is nice to meet with like-minded people and this post has important info for someone with breast cancer like me...Michelle

Nick Peterson said...

There are great ideas coming from all over the world, I enjoy reading about them. Thanks

Plastic Container Manufacturer