Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hormone Disrupting Chemicals, Breast Cancer and My Home



Two recent articles UN urges deeper probe into hormone-disrupting chemicals and Chemicals in household items linked to cancer have given credence to the role of hormone disrupting chemicals in the development of cancers including breast cancer.

There are about 800 chemicals that the United Nations has stated could damage the human hormone system and still they are saying this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Many of these chemicals are used in household products

These chemicals entered our lives with an enormous explosion after the Second World War.

Our human bodies are simply not adapted to so many changes.

One concern of the World Health Organization is that the vast majority of new chemicals in commercial use have just not been tested.

As a breast cancer survivor I try to eliminate  endocrine disrupting chemicals on the UN's list from my life.

One approach to this has been to create a home using natural materials including paint to eliminate as many of these chemicals from my everyday living as I am able.

My home may seem simple but for me it gives health and energy.

I love walking on the natural finished wooden floors and knowing the paint that is beside my head while I sleep is not giving off toxic chemicals.

With hormonal cancers increasing at alarming rates it is good to look at the everyday to see what can be eliminated from our lives to create healthier living and a healthier planet.

1 comment:

Rambling Woods said...

I remember your home and reading about..impressive..hang in there.. Michelle