Original artworks sharing my journey available at Art Lovers Australia

Monday, March 4, 2013

Food Forest, Fire and Future


My Food Forest has survived the fire which destroyed the house next door.

In the background of this photo you can see the plastic barrier at the bottom of the area where the soil  was removed from the fire property.

During the time immediately after the fire it was uncertain whether my soil would also have to be removed with the trees whose plantings I have shared on this blog.

Yesterday I received the official report signing off my property after the fire.

Still uncertain as to the full nature of the soil in this area of my garden but with the continual heavy rain we are currently experiencing am praying remaining residues will be washed away.

Still so much to be done after the fire, new roof, restoration of driveway area and privacy screen, and painting of heat damaged sections of the house.

Meanwhile it rains each day and everything is on hold.

Plan to cover  the food forest with  sugar cane mulch and compost when all the other work  up the slope is completed.

Will leave the surviving fruit trees and chop and drop the food crops to become part of the new soil.

Time and nature can then do their work to heal the food forest's soil biology.

This post is part of Natures Notes.


4 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

I can understand your concern, but I am hopeful that you can get started again...doing something is so much better than waiting..Michelle

Karen said...

Oh, I'm glad your garden wasn't destroyed!

eileeninmd said...

A fire so close, I am glad you did not have more damage. I hope everything works out for you and your soil, garden and trees.

Leora said...

Scary to have a fire next door! Your garden is beautiful.