Saturday, June 29, 2013

Roundup & GMO Free Local Food at Community Garden


 With the new damning evidence of Glyphosate found in Roundup's role in inducing human breast cancer cells growth via estrogen receptors I am so glad to part of creating organic food at my local community garden.

When things are done right there is always a sense of joy and this is reflected in the many creative scarecrows and art that are now manifesting at my local garden.

In my own plot broad beans are growing alongside prolific and delicious sweet potatoes.

The Yacon or Peruvian Ground Apple is almost ready to harvest and the small brown tubers from which next years crop will grow can be seen in the ground beneath its stalks.

Hard to believe so many delicious and crunchy ground apples are the result of one small tuber planted last year.

The Brazilian Spinach had been a wonderful stable especially in the hot months when other more fragile plants have succumbed to the heat.

Here this tough spinach continues to grow  beside the newly planted broccoli and another Asian Green I was given by a member of the garden.

 This Asian Green is also tough and is always growing in my plot  giving me a continuous supply of green bitter leaves which I love lightly steamed with lemon juice and olive oil.

The herb spiral at the entrance to the garden always has an exciting variety of herbs which all members share and which add further tastes to the fresh garden food.